Monday, November 21, 2011

Metacognition: Get Organized "Did I Always Have That?"

        Everyday my mom would constantly nag me to organize my desk. I would subconsciously nod my head in agreement, but I would just continue with what I was doing at that moment. When we were assigned to organize something for homework, I figured I'd organize my desk to kill two birds with one stone.

        As I scanned the things on my desk, I began to think of how I can organize all of the random items. Each individual items were completely different so I had no idea how to organize my desk. What's even worse is that almost every object I picked up, I asked myself,  "did i always have that?" It seemed like there was no possible way to do this task.

        Something I noticed about my thinking process was that, the second I was stumped, I would have a complete brain fart. My thinking process and mind would just stop and draw a blank. I realized that this isn't the first time this has happened to me. This project has made me realize that my thinking process is quite underdeveloped. My creativity and ability to go beyond and think outside of the box is extremely limited. As a direct consequence, in everything I do at school, I tend to be the last one to complete it compared to my peers.

        Although I wish that my thinking process was a lot more efficient and quick, I do appreciate that I am able to work on a task for a long period of time without taking breaks. My mind simply would not let me take a break from organizing my desk, even though it took me quite a while. The hardworking ethic that has been engraved into my head has subconsciously helped me throughout all of high school in my academics. 

        After completing the project, something I didn't know before was that I am a total slob living in a pig pen. Before I started the project, I was dreading it. During the project, I was dreading it. But after I had finished and saw how clean my desk was, I was quite satisfied and proud and even flaunted my desk to my mom.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment